12/4/08

One Down Two to Go!

I was honored to be able to participate in the Contemporary Hispanic Winter Market! I had a really nice spot that included lighting for my paintings. I was one of the first booths you saw when walking into El Museo.
Please bare with me. The genius that I am, I forgot my camera. Luckily my daughters mp4 takes photos. The photos are not as clear as usual but it got the job done! She was my helper for the show, a very good helper & future artist! Before I move on to the show.
This is Santa Claus from the North Pole, located in Colorado! Now the photos on their website, do NOT do this place justice! Oh my goodness, I LOVE it there. For the last two years we have gone right before Christmas to visit there. The town next to the North Pole has a strip of amazing shops that we walk up and down! It is BEAUTIFUL! I am hoping to make enough sales to take my family back again this year. I am trying to make it a tradition. I am and will always be a kid at heart. I love these holiday seasons. This is her, last year, with Santa. My Flores Original photographer. Isn't she gorgeous?

Ok, got lost in the North Pole for a while there. Here is a photo of my display. This is the first morning, I was still organizing and making sure there were no crooked paintings on the wall.

I don't know exactly why she waited for the table to look sloppy to take this photo. During the show the table was not organized like this. I use this table for sales, and business cards. Also, for candy! If you come by my booth please feel free to get a candy or three! That's what they're there for. These next two photos are a couple of my favorite that sold. This first one is Mi Amor Perdido translation My Lost Love. I have painted her before and she sold so I wanted to add her to the mix again, this time in retablo form. You can't really tell in this photo but her eyes are broken hearts she has a half of a broken heart necklace on she is crying turquoise tears. The two love birds on the top are pulling the heart apart and on the shelf underneath her she has roses thrown at her feet. She is playing a guitar, singing out her heartfelt song of a love that she will never again see.

Now This piece. Have you ever got rid of something that you have later regretted? Well, I took this piece to the show with me. And I did not have intentions of selling her. But for some reason I took her out, put a price on her and displayed her. There is a history behind this painting and I can't believe that I parted with it. When I first started painting, this is when I would only paint in oil. I tried to paint the Blessed Mother. I could not paint her for the life of me. And the oil paint got thicker and thicker in layers. I worked on it for about 6 or 7 months. I finally got so frustrated that I took this Masonite board and asked my Grandpa to sand it down for me, so that I can start a new. He sanded it, but could not get that red out that you see in the background. I put the board away for about a year. We had moved from our home. One day I unpacked this piece of Masonite and decided to try again. But this time I starred at the board for a couple of days. I left it out where I could see it every day when passing by. And, then inspiration hit! This was my first of the Mujer series. I saw in the grain of the wood a shape of someone sitting like the mujer you see in the painting. Then I saw a shape of a hand at the top. And I went with it. This piece was also featured in an interview in our local paper. Before my Grandfather started having back problems, he uniquely framed this piece like a puzzle. The painting fits inside the frame. (hard to explain). Well, it is gone and will be residing in a new home in Sweden. My work, my grandfathers work, now belongs to someone else. This piece was priceless to me. I do know that the buyer really liked it and came back for it after thinking about it. If you notice the hand in the painting is the hand I use for my logo Flores Originals, as well.

So I bid this piece adieu! And find peace in my broken heart that it will be appreciated somewhere far away in a beautiful home in Sweden.

I thought I would include a photo of my handsome son. He is my show set up/tear down guy. Him and my patient husband. They make sure my art is safely delivered and packed. Thank you Sunny!

And here is the boss, my youngest daughter Flores Original Supervisor! She has on her fabulous pumpkin pancho! (taken Thanksgiving day)

I am getting ready for two more shows. One in Los Lunas, NM & one in Albuquerque, NM. Stay tuned for more photos.



Thanks for stopping by

1 comment:

Pam said...

I was there! I was there!Take my word for it...Carolyn's kids are the cutest kids ever! And your booth looked beautiful...the pics do it no justice. Your colorful artwork looked stunning...you should have sold out! Blame the economy. It was good to see you again!

La Chingona