4/7/09

What A Show.....

For being the first Annual Dia de los Muertos show to take place no where near Oct. 1st, This show was a SUCCESS!
I would like to thank Mr. Estrada & Mr. Garcez from Red Rabbit Press for hosting such a fun & wonderful show!

I had quite a few new items for this show that I have been so busy working on for the last few months. I have bottle cap bracelets, light switches complete with hardware, candles, new lino cut cards, Beer-Rings, pins, hair pins, necklaces & more......
Whatever was left over will be added to my etsy shop this week!



"Spice Up Your Light"
with these Flores Original Light switches...


~Beer-Rings~

Some fellow New Mexican bloggers participated in the show as well!
Your all familiar with the
~Fancy Chola~


I am a proud owner of a reversible Senorita Handbag! Handmade by The Fancy Chola herself!

Also the OH SO Talented Chica
Pam! From Living La Vida Pintada!
Unfortunately my good friend Pam was indoors for this event and I didn't get a chance to their photos! And Pam completely sold out so after the show there was nothing left to photograph! One thing I have to add to this is her daughter is amazingly talented as well! She is setting up an etsy shop soon. And I am awaiting patiently!

Now during this show I met some really cool jente!! Let me introduce you....

First is Josephine Brionez de Flores! Yeah that's right!
!!FLORES!!
She is a very creative artist that also participates in the Contemporary Hispanic Market!
You can visit her website at http://www.brionezdesigns.com/
Check her out!

I am the proud owner of an original Brionez Design!
I have a Beautiful pair of earrings and a wicked cool choker!
See!
They are so much more gorgeous in person! I'm not a photographer...


Next we have Diego Gonzales! He is a cool cat! Creativity is just busting out of every pore in his body! He is a painter, sketcher, poet, tattoo artist and ....


Henna tattoo's.. and so much more! I got the sacred heart! It is a "glitter henna" tattoo! When the glitter falls off you have the brownish/orange stain of the image. Its Awesome! And he did a really good job! You cant tell here because I had on a necklace that pushed some of the glitter off. I could not take the necklace off for long and I'll tell you why later....

I don't have a website for him but I "think" he is at the Contemporary Hispanic Market in July! I hope I'm not giving you false information!

Ok, I had the pleasure of having the booth next to the
~PotHolder Queen~
And yes, she really is THEE PotHolder Queen! She had a million and one pot holders, the most Awesome Tortilla warmers! Yes, tortilla warmers and the most delicious smelling lavender masks! Her fabrics are out of this world. She mixes and matches the fabrics and she has the best prices ever!
I am a proud owner of a purple, lavender scented mask, with skeletos on the fabric! Unfortunately I have no contact info for her....sorry
She rocks!


Ok, next on the cool cat list is our very fun friend the Glass Lady! Her prices are very reasonable and she does great work! She is hilarious! She shared some stories with us about her days in Woodstock! Ohhh an actual hippie. It was an honor and a privilege to be next to her and spend two fun-tastic days with her!! We were having so much fun together I forgot to ask her for a card, But I did get her photo. Now I know she is going to be in the magazine, "Who's Who" I don't know when but be on the look out for her. She does many shows around Alb. and the surrounding area!


Now we have my oh so talented friend . She makes amazing papel picado art! This one is Hansel & Gretel. She traded this with me for some Flores Original jewelry. This piece will go in my oldest daughters room with a thick turquoise frame... ohhh imagine! I also have a skeleto in the kitchen cooking, as well as a magnet for the fridge of two skeleton women sitting at a table smoking and gossiping! Love it!! Again I have no contact information about her either. But, if you are interested in anyone about their works and contact information, please e-mail me & I will definitely get that info for you!!


Ayyy Mamasita! Have you seen the movie "Chocolat"? If you have you know that all those different chocolate recipes looked like heaven! I had to go out and buy myself a Hershey's bar! But the Hershey bar does not compare to these oh so delicious cookies! OH MY GOSH! On the movie they had some chocolate that they added chili pepper to. I always wondered what that tasted like. At the show this weekend there was a booth from
~AlbuqCookie~
Get it? Like Albuquerque & Cookie put 'em together..? Brilliant! Everyone was raving about these cookies.
They were all out of the other cookies so I was only able to sample the
"Leah Rosie's Chocolate Pepper Chile Cookies"
And I can't explain the taste to you. It was so different from anything I've ever tasted. It was chocolaty & there is sugar sprinkled on top which was a different kind of sweet mixed in, and then the after taste has a spiciness left on your tongue and throat. They are oh so delicious! Embarrassing enough the whole bag is gone and it is only Tuesday! Hey I have kids that I generously shared them with! These cookies are enjoyed more when eaten very very slow savoring each different taste that pops out to surprise you with every chew! I will be stopping by there this week on my way to Espanola! I have to try the others!
They are located at the South Valley Economic Development Center at
318 Isleta Blvd SW
Phone: 505.268.1439
You can visit there website here
http://www.blogger.com/www.albuqcookie.com

Mmmmm.. Now every time I go to a show, it's a rule that I buy local honey. I loves me some honey!! This booth had some delicious honey! Very very good. Not only was the honey good but they had some beef jerky that was really really good too! along with jams and Chile and just a whole lotta goodness!
There shop is located in Bernallio it is called
~The Corner Store~
Located at
866 Camino del Pueblo
Phone 505.867.0955
Delicioso

Last but not least I met the queen of bottle caps! She makes very gorgeous bottle cap jewelry! She is well known in New Mexico her name is Goldie Garcia!
She is a very nice lady, with a cool sense of style, who swapped some good advice with me, gave me a few good tips! You can check out her website and her interesting story on how she got started here.
She used to be a comedian! Really! That's cool! I would have never guessed!
~Goldie Garcia~
I am the proud owner of a Goldie Garcia pin!

There was so much fun to be had this past weekend and I enjoyed every moment! Face painters, Artists Galore & good times! Talent was everywhere to be found!


Before I end this post, I want to share something with you.
I am sooooo very very happy and excited because Pam! From Living La Vida Pintada!
gave me, GAVE ME! 2 items that I will cherish forever! First is this amazing necklace. Really? I can't even tell you how in awe I was/am! I LOVE Coraline. That movie made me sooo happy. It took me back to my child hood where things were so magical and exciting, imagination was so much easier to have as a child. Imaging you were in a far away land, you get the idea. Anyway, when I watched the movie it reminded me of playing at my Grandparents house as a kid, they have 5 acres of land that my Grandfather planted alfalfa on. I would love running through it in the summer, especially when the alfalfa was taller than me. It was like the garden at the "other mothers" in the movie! So I really fell in love with the story. I really enjoy Tim Burton movies. But, there was just something more to this one!
What a job she did on this reversible necklace!! I'm already like a moth to a flame with Pam's art! Then she uses the metallic colors like no other. All the way around, It's perfect! Amazing!
Don't you think?


After staring at this necklace the rest of that Saturday, Saturday night and then Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon comes around and I see Pam talking to the fancy chola. I go over there all excited, "heeyyy Pam I love my necklace thank you so much, I'm still in awe" She has something behind her back and she gives it to me.....
OH MY GOSH!!
She painted the Coraline jewelry box!! AND SHE GAVE IT TO ME!!
!!ALA MACHINA!!
I could not wait, to get home with it. I had to fight off both of my daughters. They actually thought it was for them?
I looove my box and necklace and I truly am so so thankful to Pam! She is super bomb-bastic!!
I luff her!!
Thank you again Pam!!

These photos give this piece no justice! In person it is sooo much more gorgeous!

The Top

Under The Top is the vortex
that leads to the other mothers house!

Both sides of the box have a large button. (Brilliant!)
This side reads, "Be careful what you wish for"

The inside

awwww... dreamy.....

Ok, let me snap out of it real quick....

Ok, I'm back! Here are some new works of art! That I have been working on under this mess I call a desk!


I dont have a name for her yet.. any suggestions?

I don't currently have a name for her either...
She is from the Mujer series. This is the first frontal painting of her. She has a tattoo on her arm. The design is from my lino carving design. It will be available for purchase on my etsy shop also!


After watching Coraline I have been in this fantasy sort of high! So I painted this wood and it has a shelf at the end and the road comes out onto the shelf...
see the faces in the trees?

Ok and last but not least
Happy Birthday to little Guely!
Miguel
Made by the
~Fancy Chola~
Son of Christina...

This was the longest and hardest post yet!! I am glad I am done with it! My electricity went out in my house while typing and then my keyboard burnt out. Then, I had to post a million photos. It seemed like a good idea at the time...lol


See Ya!


3 comments:

Renee said...

Wow what a show.

Carolyn I did not write the poem, it is by Mary Oliver.

Your little boy at the end of the post is gorgeous. I think he was the absolutely best thing in the show.

Love Renee and thank you for your prayers.

glorv1 said...

Wooo Hooo! That was some post and some show. I like the lady from Woodstock. I bet she has a lot of stories. How sweet of Pam to give you such awesome gifts. The potholder lady was great as well. Looks like your day went well. Happy for you. This post was very informative and I will have to visit some of those sites your talked about. Thx for stopping by my blog. Take care.

catboxartstudio said...

WOW! What a post!!

I am soooooo glad to hear that the show was such a success! It sounds like you had a great time. I have to say, your stuff looks fabulous! The art, the displays and your necklaces, WOW! I could go on and on - good for you! It was nice that you include the shout outs for the other artists', very cool! I'll have to check them out.

Again, congrats on doing so well!

La Chingona